Recognizes excellence in academics, extracurricular activities, leadership and service.
The Marriott Scholar program is the most prestigious scholarship offered at Southern Virginia University, recognizing incoming freshmen and transfer students who have excelled in academics, extracurricular activities, leadership and service. This award emphasizes the attributes of the "leader-servant" as exemplified by Richard E. Marriott and the Marriott Family in whose honor the scholarship is named.
The maximum annual scholarship amount Southern Virginia awards to any student is $10,000. The Marriott scholarship is calculated and added to other Southern Virginia scholarships to bring your total Southern Virginia scholarship amount up to $10,000.
- 3.80+ (unweighted) GPA on 4.0 scale
- 1860 combined score on SAT or 28 composite score on ACT
- 3.60+ (unweighted) GPA on 4.0 scale
- 1980 combined score on SAT or 30 composite score on ACT
- 3.80+ (unweighted) GPA on 4.0 scale, minimum 24 attempted credit hours
- Students may also be asked to provide high school information
Students with GED, homeschooled and/or without accredited high school transcript:
- Contact an admissions director for eligibility requirements
Submit a Letter of Recommendation
- Complete the Marriott Scholarship Application:
- Download and print the Letter of Recommendation Form
- Complete the "To the Applicant" portion
- Give the entire Letter of Recommendation Form and an addressed and stamped envelope to the recommender. Address the envelope to:
Southern Virginia University Admissions
One University Hill Drive
Buena Vista, Virginia 24416
- Ask the recommender to mail the completed form and letter
Marriott Scholarships are awarded on a rolling basis beginning as early as January for Fall semester and September for Spring semester. Qualified candidates should submit their applications as early as possible. Marriott Scholarships are awarded on a first come, first served basis until funding for the scholarship is exhausted.
Annual award, does not need to be renewed; however, scholarship eligibility is evaluated after the summer term to ensure that the student meets certain minimum academic performance criteria. Currently, Marriott Scholars must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA. These criteria are subject to change at any time.